Sometimes you may have an old server listed in the Backup Exec Remote Administrator "Connect to server" and "Connect to Media Server" drop-down lists. Here's how to remove them.
There are a number of dead Veritas links in the knowedge base and support forums, making this information hard to find.
Working link (as of June 2007): http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/230872.htm
This is a 2 step process, which isn't immediately clear from the article. Both steps are required to remove old servers from the list.
Delete old servers from the registry of the computer you use to run the Backup Exec Administrator:
(Note the article has an incomplete list of BE versions)
- Backup Exec for Windows NT 7.0.1 or 7.2 – /HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Seagate Software/Backup Exec/Local UI/Menu Server List
- Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 7.3 or 8.0 – /HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/Local UI/Menu Server List
- Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 8.5 or 8.6 – /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/User Interface/Menu Server List
- Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.0 – /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/9.0/User Interface/Menu Server List
- Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.1 – /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/9.1/User Interface/Menu Server List
- Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.0 – /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/10.0/User Interface/Menu Server List
- Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.1 – /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/10.1/User Interface/Menu Server List
- Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11.0 – /HKey_Current_User/Software/Symantec/Backup Exec for Windows servers /11.0/User Interface/Menu Server List
If in an Active Directory environment, the Backup Exec object also needs to be deleted to complete this process:
- Stop all Backup Exec server services
- Click Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Active Directory Users and Computers | Computer
- Make sure you have "Advanced Features" under the "View" menu enabled to see the "BEServer" object. It should be in the "Computers" OU.
- Delete the BEServer object
- Start all Backup Exec server services.
- The "BEServer" object will be recreated and populated by any Backup Exec media servers in the domain once their services are restarted.